This quiz was developed by Dr. Cindy Butler Mancini, formerly part of this practice group. Dr. Butler Mancini is now a therapist in private practice in Nashville, TN, specializing in DBT.
Answer yes or no to the following statements:
1. It’s hard to calm myself down when I’m hurt or angry.
2. There are things I do to help me get through the day that I wish I could stop doing.
3. I do or say things in the heat of the moment that end up causing problems in relationships or at work.
4. I sometimes wish I didn’t have any feelings at all -- having feelings is a problem.
5. It seems like my emotions control me rather than the other way around.
If you answered “Yes” to one or more of these questions, you might find Dialectical Behavior Therapy helpful. DBT offers the skills necessary for identifying, experiencing, and managing emotions. These are skills that can help you interact more effectively with yourself and with others.
Lakeview Center for Psychotherapy, at 3322 N Ashland Ave. in Chicago, offers DBT Skills Training Groups and Individual DBT.
To find out more, or to discuss whether DBT may be right for you, call Niquie Dworkin at Lakeview Center for Psychotherapy